Advice From Cookies I've Eaten

~Forgiveness does not change the past, but it will enlarge the future~

~Take no risks with your reputation!~

~Respect for others is peace. Respect for yourself is happiness.~

~You cannot be lonely if you like the person you are alone with.~

~When things go wrong don't go with them.~

~Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn and you will!~

~To ignore the facts doesn't change the facts.~

~Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.~

~Live every day up to your expectations not others.~

Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Go Left Young Man...Go Left!!!

I have arrived in Scotland and LOVE it! Edinburgh is amazing. It is a blend of old and new, busy and laid back. No one seems to be in a rush unless they are driving then of course they are out to qualify for NASCASR. The streets are very narrow, wind up hills, many are cobblestone so you'd think that people would drive with some caution. No way!!! They fly by at crazy speeds like 40mph on little streets with people eating at outside cafe tables right next to the road so close they could reach out and hit them with their bread and butter. And of course they drive on the left side but can park on either side they like. So there are cars parked on a side facing nose to nose.
Now I knew that they drove on the left side but it didn't quite sink in that they would walk on the left side also. From the moment I got off the plane in London I kept running in to people. It is very bizarre to enter into places from the left because the doors are setup to enter in the left and exit on the right.
All information signs are in yellow and strangely enough all emergency signs are in green. Told you they were laid back. Apparently if there is an emergency you should be aware of it but not get too excited.
The toilets (not restrooms) are very small.
I had my first Scottish meal today because yesterday I was too tired to move and slept for 20 hours once I got to my room. I had what they call Black Pudding. When I asked the waitress what it was the only thing she could describe it as was a blood sausage "Not to worry it's very Scottish" as if that would make it not completely gross. I decided to give it a try and amazingly enough it was really tasty. It is not a pudding (major disappointment) but more like a very dark, bready, seasoned meatloaf. I also had mackerel fish cakes and fruit salad with ice cream. It was all very good.
Later on as I was walking around I stopped at the Elephant Room where JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book and had a hot chocolate because it is a very reasonable 65 degs or so.
I also went to Gray Friars Kirk (Kirk=Church) were the Covenaters signed the National Covenant and the organist played a few hymns on the huge pipe organ just for me. There is an American flag in the corner of the Kirk which was given to them by the American consulate because the dedication of the church coincides with the landing of the pilgrims in America. Outside in the Kirkyard is the tomb of Grayfriars Bobby.
I am hoping to post some pictures later on today and will tell more about my trip.

1 comment: